Juutalaiskortteli ja muurireitti

Green line: route / Blue line: how to get to the bar area and how to return to the Aqueduct / Blue area: bar area

FILE

Departure: from the Parador

Transfer: by taxi or walking

Walking: 3.4 km. to the aqueduct

Route length: 3.73 km.

Return: walking or by taxi. Stop next to the Aqueduct.

INTRODUCTION

Wall:

The perimeter of the wall of Segovia is adapted to the rock on which the city rises. The eastern side opens onto the plain of the Clamores Valley and on the western side, looking towards the Eresma Valley, the sharp vertex of the Alcázar is located. It has a length of 3 km 406 m. The thickness of the canvases reaches 2.5 m. The average height of the wall from the foot of the rock on which it lays the foundation to the crowning merlones is estimated at 9.47 m.

 

Jewry:

The first data on the presence of Jews in Segovia dates back to the 13th century and places their activity and residence around the commercial area of the city (San Miguel parish)

In 1480, they were confirmed in the neighborhood that we now know as the Jewish Quarter of Segovia, within the city walls, south of the city, on the Clamores valley that separated them from their cemetery. Throughout their history, the Jews had five synagogues, of which the one that was the Greater Synagogue (current Corpus Christi convent) remains.

In 1492, the Catholic Monarchs signed the Edict of expulsion of the Jews from the Kingdom of Castile and, except for the converts, they left the city where they were born forever. 

ROUTE

0. AQUEDUCT

It was built around 112 AC. in Hadrian's time. It is one of the best civil engineering works in Spain. Its 167 granite stone arches from the Guadarrama are made up of ashlars joined without any type of mortar by means of an ingenious balance of forces. It has a length of 16,222 m. and a maximum height of 28 m.

Next to the Aqueduct is the taxi rank, from where we will start the route towards Calle Real.

1 . Sun and Moon Shutters

A shutter is an opening in the wall of less importance than a door, which was used for the passage of people.

The Postigo de la Luna was rebuilt at the end of the 20th century imitating the old medieval entrance that existed there.

Postigo del Sol: also rebuilt and recovered. Through its stairs it guides us towards the narrow, intimate streets full of passageways of the old Jewish quarter.

Next to the atrium of the church of San Martín we turn left towards the shutter of the Moon.

2. Corpus Christi:

It is the best preserved synagogue of the five that existed in the Segovian aljama. This fact is due to the conversion that, in 1410, led it to become a Catholic Church after the events of Corpus Christi, to whom the new confession of the temple was advocated.

We enter the Paseo del Salón de Isabel II, and next to the Postigo del Sol, on its right, we find the Old Synagogue.

3. Gate of San Andrés:

It is the gate that stands out the most on the wall of Segovia, largely due to its attractive and defensive appearance at the same time. Known as Arco del Socorro, for the image of the Virgin of Socorro installed there in the modern age. This gate had a lot of activity, among other things because it gave way to the Jews who were going to its cemetery that was in the Pinarillo. Also because the Jews were expelled by it, of course, since the door was in the middle of the Jewish quarter.

We arrive at the Puerta de San Andrés to enter the Jewish Quarter. Before, we can turn just to the left of the Gate to see the wall and panoramic view. Opposite is the Pinarillo and the Jewish Cemetery.

4. Segovia Museum (old Jewish slaughterhouse)

The Casa del Sol building is located on a rocky spur in the old part of the city, on the wall and next to the Clamores river. This building has served as a convent for the Calced Carmelites. It was also a Jewish slaughterhouse, which in turn was surrounded by various butcher shops. It then became the municipal slaughterhouse until 1973. Finally, the Segovia Museum.

At this point there is a viewpoint on the Wall. A visit to the Museum of Segovia is include in this route. After the visit we continue to the Ronda de Don Juan II.

5. Alcazar

A deep moat with a drawbridge opens the way to a privileged fortress, possibly inhabited since Celtic times. The castle, converted into Alcazar - royal residence - in the s. XIII, it will acquire its Gothic appearance in the times of Juan II and Enrique IV. Its restoration has been continuous after a serious fire that occurred in 1862 and that was about to destroy it definitively. However, in 1882, reigning Alfonso XII, its reconstruction began, never abandoned by the Alcazar Board of Trustees, which has been restoring coffered ceilings, friezes, altarpieces and walls.

Upon reaching the Alcazar, to the left of the garden, is the Casa de la Química, and in it a cafeteria with a terrace with a beautiful view of Segovia, a good place for a coffee.

6. Santiago gate

The Puerta de Santiago, in which we find ourselves, is already mentioned in 1122 and is called "by Rodrigo Ordóñez". At that time, the Gate would have a single floor that would reach the rampart of the wall and, above it, would rise a cavalry tower that would stand out on the flanks directed towards the city, all topped with battlements. The wall that has come down to us would be built at the end of the XII-XIII century. From here travelers from Medina del Campo or Arévalo entered the city and communicated the city within the walls with the Arrabal de San Marcos, Fuencisla or Veracruz.

From the Alcázar we continue along C / Pozo de la Nieve, until we reach the Puerta de Santiago, at its height there are some stairs where we can go down to the Puerta. We only go through the door to see it, but then we continued up the street, c/ Puerta de Santiago.

Continuing along this street we will reach the Hospital de la Misericordia and we continue down the street, along C / Doctor Velasco.

Hospital Recoletas 

Continuing along C / Taray we reach the Plaza de Colmenares, where the church of San Juan de los Caballeros is located. It is interesting to walk the entire square, to the left and right of the church.

7. Gate of San Cebrian

The Puerta de San Cebrian in the wall of Segovia, defended only by a prismatic tower, was open in the sector of the wall that overlooks the most uninhabited part of the historic site and connected the city with the Dominican Convent and with the neighborhood of San Lorenzo. It owes its name to the now defunct hermitage of San Cebrian.

When we get the Puerta de San Cebrian we take some stairs up until we reach the walkway and go through it until the end, where we will turn down an alley to take c/ Taray to the left.

Continuing along C / Taray we reach the Plaza de Colmenares, where the church of San Juan de los Caballeros is located. It is interesting to walk the entire square, to the left and right of the church.

8. San Juan de los Caballeros Church

The temple, installed next to the San Juan gate, on the northwest side of the old wall, overlooks the viewpoint of the river. Abandoned after the confiscation, it was used as a warehouse and garage until the famous painter Ignacio Zuloaga acquired it. There his uncle Daniel installed his prestigious ceramic ovens and served as Ignacio's studio and family home. Declared a monument in 1962, it was enabled for museum use between the 1970s and 1990s, currently presenting a permanent collection that illustrates the daily and artistic life of the Zuloaga. 

Once the tour of the square is finished, we take C / Luis Felipe Peñalosa until we reach C / de San Agustín. 

We are in the Barrio de los Caballeros, with fortress houses next to the wall.

At this point we leave the Wikiloc route. And before turning right towards the Plaza Mayor (bar area) we can turn fifty meters to see another perspective of the Aqueduct.

Recommended bars

Comuneros (Travesía del Patín) The skewer black pudding is very good. It has a dining room in case you want to order some rations for dinner.

El Sitio (Travesía del Patín). Good pincho, although the place is small. It has a dining room upstairs for portions. Recommendable.

La Casona de San Martín (Plazuela de San Martín). It has a dining room at the back for portions.

La Tasquina (Valdeláguila Street)

Lali Restaurant (Cronista Lecea)

José María (Cronista Lecea)...

La Taurina (Plaza Mayor)

 

Any bar in the square and in the area is fine. 

NOTE: they always put a free skewer with the drink (if they don't, ask for it)


SEGOVIA UN BUEN PLAN:

Los Maestros, 7 bajo  ·  Palazuelos de Eresma (Segovia)

PÁGINA DE INFORMACIÓN TURÍSTICA DE SEGOVIA CAPITAL Y PROVINCIA

www.segoviaunbuenplan.com

 informacion@segoviaunbuenplan.com